Cold winter weather and the busy holiday season can be challenging for your leg health, since prolonged standing and excessive sitting are both factors associated with an increased risk for spider veins. Inactivity causes increased pressure on the veins in the legs.
During the colder months, many people prefer to stay indoors and their lifestyles may become considerably less active than during the warmer seasons. Additionally, increased holiday travel can make extended sitting unavoidable. Standing in long lines for holiday gift and food shopping, along with those extra holiday pounds can also put added stress on veins.
However, by following these 7 tips, it’s possible to avoid adding extra vein stress to your holiday list.
- Get up frequently and walk around. It doesn’t matter if it’s at home, work, the airport, or even holiday shopping at the mall.
- Consider a stationary bike or treadmill for easy indoor exercise.
- Elevate your legs when you must sit for extended periods of time.
- Cut calories to keep a healthy weight by eating a variety of brightly colored fruits and vegetables. Studies show that eating them can strengthen blood vessel walls, reducing swelling and help to ease pain.
- Wear support hose or stockings to gently compress leg muscles and squeeze veins, helping to push the blood back toward the heart.
- Reduce sodium and drink plenty of water to limit swelling.
- Get a gentle massage to help stimulate blood circulation.
However, if it’s time to consider spider vein treatment, winter may be the best time to do it, as swelling and vein dilation is typically less during these cooler months. Today’s laser treatment for spider veins includes two highly effective, non-surgical treatment options, endovenous laser ablation and sclerotherapy for varicose veins. With these modern spider vein treatments, there’s minimal discomfort and most people can resume their daily activities immediately after treatment.
If you would like more information regarding the best treatment for spider vein removal for you, please contact the Goldman Vein Institute today at one of our two convenient locations:
Jupiter 561-625-9853 or Wellington 561-790-4550 or visit us at www.goldmanveininstitute.com.
At the Goldman Vein Institute, our mission is to provide our patients with comprehensive care for varicose veins, spider veins, and other conditions caused by venous insufficiency. Our highly-qualified and experienced, board-certified vein specialists, Dr. Goldman and Dr. Varghese-Goldman, combine their extensive knowledge and experience, with the latest innovations in vein treatments.
With our offices in Jupiter and Wellington Florida, the Goldman Vein Institute serves patients from Stuart, Hobe Sound, Tequesta, Jupiter, Palm Beach Gardens, North Palm Beach, West Palm Beach, Loxahatchee, Royal Palm Beach, Wellington, Hialeah, Sunny Isles, Bay Harbor, Bal Harbour, Miami Beach, Aventura, Surfside, Hallandale, and Hollywood, and we welcome patients across South Florida to visit our state-of-the-art vein centers, where we provide the latest in vein treatment technology.