Spider veins are the enlarged red or blue blood vessels that appear close to the skin surface in a web-like or branching pattern. They are frequently seen on the legs or face, but they can appear nearly anywhere on the body. Some of the causes of spider veins include genetics, hormonal changes, and sun exposure.
Although spider veins may not be entirely unavoidable, there are some preventative steps that can help.
- Wearing sunscreen reduces ultraviolet exposure, especially on the face.
- Limiting alcohol consumption is important, as alcohol affects blood flow and is associated with various skin and vascular changes.
- Avoiding sitting or standing for prolonged periods of time and participating in regular physical activity can help to improve leg and vein strength, and blood circulation.
- Elevating the legs can take pressure off the legs and feet, helping blood return to the heart.
- Eating a healthy diet and controlling excess weight can reduce stress on leg veins.
- Limiting factors that constrict circulation such as sitting with the legs crossed, or wearing tight clothing, which can increase the risk of developing spider veins.
- Wearing compression socks or stockings to encourage better circulation and reduce swelling.
However, once they appear, the best treatment for spider veins lies in leading edge laser technology. Laser treatment for unsightly spider veins now provides a highly effective, non-surgical option. This spider veins treatment called sclerotherapy reduces their appearance and heals the surrounding tissues to prevent further damage.
During this procedure, a varicose vein specialist uses a tiny needle to introduce an FDA-approved sclerosant into the vein, drops at a time. This gentle, yet effective medication causes the vein to collapse and close. Over time, the closed vein gets absorbed by the body and disappears. The sessions are typically completed in the office, within 20 minutes per leg.
Because no scalpels or sutures are utilized in either treatment, there are no long-lasting scars or keloids. There’s minimal discomfort, and most treatments are characterized as being virtually painless. With these modern therapies, most men can resume their daily activities immediately after treatment. Additionally, most major health insurance carriers provide coverage for the treatment of vein disease and venous insufficiency when medically necessary.
If you would like more information regarding spider vein treatments for men, please contact the Goldman Vein Institute today at one of our two convenient locations: Jupiter 561-625-9853 or Wellington 561-790-4550, or visit us at www.goldmanveininstitute.com.
At the Goldman Vein Institute, our mission is to provide our patients with comprehensive care for varicose veins, spider veins, and other conditions caused by venous insufficiency. Our highly-qualified and experienced, board-certified vein specialists, Dr. Goldman and Dr. Varghese-Goldman, combine their extensive knowledge and experience, with the latest innovations in vein treatments.
With our offices in Jupiter and West Palm Beach Florida, the Goldman Vein Institute serves patients from Stuart, Hobe Sound, Tequesta, Jupiter, Palm Beach Gardens, North Palm Beach, Loxahatchee, Royal Palm Beach, Wellington, Hialeah, Sunny Isles, Bay Harbor, Bal Harbour, Miami Beach, Aventura, Surfside, Hallandale, and Hollywood, and we welcome patients across South Florida to visit our state-of-the-art vein centers, where we provide the latest in vein treatment technology.