Venous reflux disease primarily affects the lower extremities (the legs) and can lead to more serious conditions if not addressed, as is discussed further in this article. Some of the common signs of venous reflux include:
- Spider veins, medically referred to as varicose veins, and
- Problems on the legs including ulcers, fatigue, burning, itching, and swelling.
In an ideal situation, blood flows against gravity from the lower extremities to the lungs for re-oxygenation. The veins have valves which ‘push’ the blood up against gravity. These valves only open in one direction so that blood doesn’t flow backward. A defective valve traps blood that cannot continue up the vein system, causing a backlog in the affected veins. This backlog is what is known as venous reflux.
There are two main types of venous reflux:
- One occurs deep in the vein system and is known as Deep Vein Reflux,
- The other occurs in the veins closest to the surface and is known as Superficial Vein Reflux.
Both conditions have the potential to become serious if not addressed quickly.
Venous Reflux Treatment
Venous reflux treatment depends entirely on the severity of the condition. For superficial vein reflux, for example, dietary changes, exercise, and compression socks may be sufficient to resolve the problem.
Deep vein reflux or more severe conditions require more drastic action. This action typically involves ‘killing’ the problematic vein so that the blood naturally finds alternate routes to the lungs. The problematic vein may be destroyed using a variety of treatments including:
- Ablation which is a heat treatment used to destroy the vein
- Sclerotherapy in which a chemical injection collapses the vein
- Laser therapy whereby lasers are used to kill the vein
More invasive surgical procedures may be necessary for acute venous reflux. These methods include:
- Tying off the vein (known as ligation), and
- Physically removing the vein (vein stripping).
It is difficult to say which method is most appropriate without first consulting a doctor. The doctor does preliminary tests and makes a diagnosis to determine the best course of action. It is also important to mention that venous reflux should be diagnosed by a doctor before you consider taking any action.
Venous Reflux Risks
Venous reflux carries inherent risks if left unaddressed for a long time. Some of the common complications that arise from this condition include:
- Leg ulcers
- Varicose veins (spider veins)
- Itchy legs
- Leg cramps
- General leg pain
- Tightness around the calves
- Weak legs
- Discolored skin
- What is Venous Reflux?
Venous reflux, Jupiter, is a vein condition where blood cannot flow effectively towards the lungs and heart. Since blood cannot flow back to the legs (because valves only open one way), the blood pools around the affected vein. This backlog or accumulation of blood is known as venous reflux.
- What are the symptoms of Venous Reflux?
Common symptoms of venous reflux include:
- Swelling especially around the ankles
- Heavy, throbbing or aching legs
- General leg pain especially while standing
- Leg ulcers
- Spider veins (varicose veins)
- Discoloration of the skin particularly around the ankles
- Discomfort around the calves
- What causes venous reflux?
There are multiple possible causes of venous reflux including:
- Family history of vein disease,
- Varicose veins (spider veins),
- Inactive lifestyle,
- Blood clots, and
- Is venous reflux preventable?
Venous reflux Jupiter is preventable. Prevention tips include:
- Quit smoking
- Move frequently if you have an inactive lifestyle
- Make exercise a regular part of your routine
- Maintain a healthy, well-balanced diet
- Keep an eye on your BMI
Goldman Vein Institute for Venous Reflux in Jupiter
At Goldman Vein Institute, we maintain the highest credentials, treatment modalities, and patient care standards. Dr. Goldman and Dr. Varghese-Goldman stay abreast of the latest developments in Phlebology to ensure that each patient receives the highest quality vein treatment available.
For more information about the treatments we offer for venous reflux in Jupiter, do not hesitate to give us a call or book an appointment today.