More than 40 million Americans have varicose or spider veins. Varicose veins in the legs are dark purple or blue and may look twisted and bulging. Spider veins are smaller. Spider veins often resemble a spider’s web and vary in size. They’re typically red or blue and although they are often on the legs, they may also be seen on the face.
In addition to being unsightly and sometimes painful, another common complaint is itchy varicose veins. This is caused by a skin condition known as varicose eczema, which is due to increased pressure in the veins. Unfortunately, It is estimated that one in five people over the age of 70 develop varicose eczema.
Fortunately, treatment is available by much less invasive procedures than in previous years, and can generally be treated on an outpatient basis. Below are five common varicose vein treatments and spider vein treatments, which are available to treat unattractive, painful, and often itchy varicose veins.
- Compression Stockings – The first approach to treating varicose veins is often compression stockings. These socks are designed to apply pressure to the legs in order to help move blood upward and are worn all day. They may help provide some relief from symptoms.
- Endovenous Laser Ablation – With the help of ultrasound-guided laser technology, endovenous laser ablation (EVLA), or endovenous laser treatment (ELT), is a minimally invasive, FDA-approved procedure which produces immediate results in most patients and requires little to no recuperation time.
- Visually-guided sclerotherapy – This is often used to treat spider veins near the skin’s surface, known as superficial veins. The procedure takes only about 20 minutes to complete, minimizes their unsightly appearance, and can provide relief from symptoms with no recovery time needed.
- Ultrasound-guided foam sclerotherapy – The vein specialist can treat symptoms in larger varicose veins and surrounding spider veins that are difficult to reach. This safe and effective treatment uses VARITHENA™, an FDA-approved sclerosant, to eliminate unsightly varicose veins with pinpoint accuracy.
- Vein Stripping – Varicose veins can also be physically removed by a surgeon through incisions. It is not the most favored option due to the number of incisions usually required, and also because of the length of recovery time needed. This is usually reserved for very large, painful, bulging varicose veins.
When it’s time to seek treatment, our expert vascular specialists effectively treat varicose veins, spider veins, and other symptoms of venous disease using the latest endovenous ablation and sclerotherapy techniques.
There’s minimal discomfort, and treatment is virtually painless. With these modern therapies, most people can resume their daily activities immediately after treatment. Additionally, most major health insurance carriers provide coverage for the treatment of vein disease and venous insufficiency when medically necessary.
If you would like more information regarding varicose vein or spider vein removal, please contact the Goldman Vein Institute today at one of our three convenient locations:
Jupiter 561-625-9853, Wellington 561-790-4550, or West Palm Beach 561-429-8236,
or visit us at www.goldmanveininstitute.com.
At the Goldman Vein Institute, our mission is to provide our patients with comprehensive care for varicose veins, spider veins, and other conditions caused by venous insufficiency. Our highly-qualified and experienced, board-certified vein specialists, Dr. Goldman and Dr. Varghese-Goldman, combine their extensive knowledge and experience, with the latest innovations in vein treatments.
With our offices in Jupiter, Wellington, and West Palm Beach Florida, the Goldman Vein Institute serves patients from Stuart, Hobe Sound, Tequesta, Jupiter, Palm Beach Gardens, North Palm Beach, West Palm Beach, Loxahatchee, Royal Palm Beach, Wellington, Hialeah, Sunny Isles, Bay Harbor, Bal Harbour, Miami Beach, Aventura, Surfside, Hallandale, and Hollywood, and we welcome patients across South Florida to visit our state-of-the-art vein centers, where we provide the latest in vein treatment technology.
Contact us for more information about varicose vein treatment and removal today.