It’s nearly summer and if you are wondering about how to keep your veins healthy, there are a few important things that you’ll want to know. Here are some of the beneficial things you can do to improve how your legs look and feel.
- Exercise – Gentle exercise can help strengthen muscles, and stronger muscle contractions promote better circulation. Sitting or standing for long periods impedes circulation, so take frequent breaks with short walks.
- Eat a healthy diet – Foods that are rich in bioflavonoids are especially beneficial to improving vein health. Bioflavonoids help reduce varicose veins with their antioxidant and anti-inflammatory qualities. Additionally, obesity is a risk factor for varicose veins, so eating a healthy diet can reduce your risk. Attempt to add fiber into the diet while reducing salt intake.
- Elevation – Lessen the effects of gravity on veins by placing your legs above your heart for 10-15 minutes once or more each day. It will also help alleviate swelling. If you are already experiencing varicose veins, you may have noticed varicose vein bleeding. Varicose vein bleeding can be heavy, but it may be controlled by elevating the leg and applying pressure to the area.
- Wear sunscreen – Ultraviolet rays can weaken the skin’s upper layers causing the skin to lose moisture and elasticity. The veins just below the skin can become less able to flex and move properly.
- Change sitting or standing positions regularly and take frequent breaks. Refrain from crossing the legs when sitting and avoid high heels and tight clothing, which can make varicose veins worse.
Although varicose veins and smaller spider veins may not be preventable, it is possible to stop the ones that already exist from getting worse and to delay the formation of new ones. Lifestyle can play a big role and certain changes can also help ease symptoms.
However, when varicose veins are troublesome or unsightly, it may be time to consult with a varicose vein specialist. Varicose vein removal can relieve symptoms, improve their appearance, and prevent complications.
If you would like more information about vein removal surgery, please contact the Goldman Vein Institute today at one of our two convenient locations:
Jupiter 561-625-9853 or Wellington 561-790-4550 or visit us at www.goldmanveininstitute.com.
At the Goldman Vein Institute, our mission is to provide our patients with comprehensive care for varicose veins, spider veins, and other conditions caused by venous insufficiency. Our highly-qualified and experienced, board-certified vein specialists, Dr. Goldman and Dr. Varghese-Goldman, combine their extensive knowledge and experience, with the latest innovations in vein treatments.
With our offices in Jupiter and Wellington Florida, the Goldman Vein Institute serves patients from Stuart, Hobe Sound, Tequesta, Jupiter, Palm Beach Gardens, North Palm Beach, West Palm Beach, Loxahatchee, Royal Palm Beach, Wellington, Hialeah, Sunny Isles, Bay Harbor, Bal Harbour, Miami Beach, Aventura, Surfside, Hallandale, and Hollywood, and we welcome patients across South Florida to visit our state-of-the-art vein centers, where we provide the latest in vein treatment technology.